Founded in 1984, the Open Center is New York’s leading center for integrative learning, professional advancement, personal development, and social transformation. The Center is a vibrant community that offers hundreds of learning experiences each year in nine primary disciplines: holistic health and wellness; psychology; spiritual inquiry; bodywork, movement, & yoga; arts & creativity; professional development; sound & music; addiction & trauma recovery; and the art of dying.
This is a time of expansion for the New York Open Center as we move forward with a vision to more fully align our programs with the everyday happenings in the world. Our institutes and long-term trainings provide the foundation that lead to avenues of learning that integrate holistic practices into the mainstream, something we find is needed more and more in all facets of contemporary society.
We are seeking an experienced fundraising professional to implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that will increase the Open Center’s revenue streams and donor support. Reporting to the President and working closely with the Board, this position will be responsible for developing and managing our fundraising strategy through major and regular gift acquisitions, new foundation and corporate giving, increased Board fundraising, annual events, prospect research, and membership cultivation. The fundraising professional will be responsible for the growth of the Open Center’s comprehensive donor base to a level that will result, along with earned income, in long-term organizational sustainability.
The Fundraising Professional’s primary responsibilities include:
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual, foundation, corporate and government donors and prospects
- Write compelling proposals and reports to secure new commitment and upgrade existing donor participation
- Maintain ongoing communications with private and corporate donors to ensure maximum levels of engagement and contribution
- Assist the board of directors to become more active in fundraising by encouraging greater use of their contacts and helping with the structure of their solicitations
- Working with the board, plan and oversee fundraising events
- Manage and develop a more proactive membership cultivation and renewal process
- Oversee the research capability of the Open Center’s current audience and database to uncover those with high giving capacity
Background & Qualifications
- 5 – 10 years of experience in the nonprofit development field, with a successful history of increasing major individual, corporate, foundation and Board gifts
- Exceptional relationship-building skills and comfort in proactively and effectively building relationships with major donors and foundations
- Strong history of managing fundraising events
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills
- Proven experience in building and/or improving the systems that lead to fundraising results
- Creative use of new media technologies to generate interest, support, and participation in the organization’s fundraising and friendraising goals
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire, coach, guide, and support staff and collaborate with colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, remain focused and flexible, meet deadlines and prioritize job responsibilities
- An authentic commitment to the mission and values of the organization
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, a team player, a creative problem solver with a confident yet humble style
- The ideal candidate is committed to a donor first philosophy and understands the role money plays in our society to do good
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter, salary expectations, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Fundraising Professional in the subject line.