The New York Open Center is New York’s leading center for integrative learning, professional advancement, personal development, and social transformation. The goal of the Center is to provide an accessible home for transformative education and learning. At the core of our business and mission is programming. It is through programming – the delivery of public courses, seminars, conferences, and certificate trainings – that the Open Center sparks innovation and stimulates new thinking in both individuals and society. Every job and aspect of the program department needs to be aware of and aligned with this larger mission.
The successful candidate is a creative, big-picture thinker with the ability to identify emerging social and cultural trends and business opportunities while maintaining a strategic focus on operational and financial realities. He/she is a flawless planner, has extraordinary attention to detail and is dedicated and passionate about the Open Center’s mission.
The Center is a vibrant community that offers hundreds of learning experiences each year in eight primary disciplines: Holistic Health, Psychology, Spiritual Inquiry, Bodywork, Movement, & Yoga, Arts & Creativity, Society & Culture, Professional Development, and the Art of Dying. We also offer wellness services, have a café and bookstore.
This position plays a key role in supporting the organization’s reputation for offering strong program content while maintaining high standards and learning environments. Working directly with the President and Manager of Institutes and Long-Term Trainings, the program consultant’s primary responsibility is to research and develop new institute and initiative programming as well as maintain and support existing faculty relationships. This is a 6-month, full-time position and reports directly to the President. There is some flexibility in the scheduled work hours and a portion of time will require presence at night and on weekends.
- Track market trends and develop program content that maximizes high audience engagement.
- Identify potential presenters based on specific criteria, review and craft proposals in order to bring leading and emerging presenters to teach at the Open Center.
- In collaboration with the finance department, negotiate honoraria, manage contract terms on behalf of the Open Center and provide the program planner with all the details of the financial agreement with the teacher.
- Assist in developing an ongoing evaluation process.
- Manage the program calendar, schedule program dates and maintain a shared database of potential teachers.
- Manage the collection of program data (copy, titles, headshots, contact info, financials, production information, etc.) in order to effectively communicate information to relevant operational departments in a clear and timely manner.
- Ensure operations has necessary information needed to create reservation database, online reservation pages, contracts, and other execution details that ensure successful event delivery.
- Collaborate with the marketing department to develop comprehensive and specific promotional strategies for programs.
- Oversee the collection and editing of program descriptions, bios, photos and supporting marketing information for catalogue production.
- Notify marketing two weeks in advance if program may cancel to avoid unnecessary marketing efforts.
- Complete other projects and tasks when assigned.
Qualifications + Requirements + Skills
- Minimum of 3 years direct experience working with personal growth content/curriculum.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in a fast-paced, creative, content-driven environment.
- Ideal candidate will have an existing network in the field of personal growth.
- Ideal candidate possesses a demonstrated ability to recognize and develop unique workshops, conferences and events in alignment with the Open Center’s mission.
- Demonstrates an awareness of trends and emerging content.
- Understanding of budgets, revenue generating programming and opportunity/risk analysis.
- Strong technical and systems knowledge, especially with MS Office and internet platforms like google drive.
- Ability to see the big picture and how the individual pieces interact with each other.
- Knack for assessing many diverse needs at once and apply creative problem-solving strategies.
- High attention to detail – precise, accurate, organized with the ability to multitask with ease is essential.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in partnership with the rest of the
organizational departments is required.
- Metric reporting experience and database/spreadsheet competency.
- A genuine willingness, ability and appreciation for carrying out administrative tasks.
- Ability to write and communicate effectively (oral and written) with an upbeat attitude.
- Proven history of successful service orientation is required.
- Ability to keep calm, stay centered, and bring perspective into a situation.
- Strong discernment and decision-making ability.
This is a full-time 6-month consulting assignment with the possibility of becoming a permanent position and member of the Open Center leadership team. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter, salary expectations, and resume to email@example.com with Program Consultant in the subject line.