Sous Chef at Holistic Catskills Retreat & Spa
Menla is currently seeking an inspired and experienced Sous Chef to work side by side with our Executive Chef. Join our kitchen team who have a wealth of knowledge for plant-based menus that are wholly nourishing and ecologically sustainable. Bring your culinary and creative talents to our holistic retreat center and world-class healing spa in the heart of the Catskills. If you have a passion for the healing benefits of food and are looking for an inspired kitchen team to work with for a meaningful cause– this is a great opportunity for you.
The Sous Chef should have experience in the preparation of healthy and holistic meals for large groups. S/he should also have organizational and some managerial skills to assume joint responsibility for the daily operation of the kitchen with the Head Chef.
- Supervision of Kitchen Crew during set-up and cleanup of meals and when the Executive Chef is off-duty
- Prepare mostly vegan/vegetarian buffet style meals under the direction of the Executive Chef
- Prepare fish or chicken supplements for certain groups (less than 10% of annual bookings)
- Inspect the kitchen for cleanliness and proper storage of foods and utensils
- Provide input to the Executive Chef in menu planning based on feedback from the staff and guests
- Supervise the post-meal clean-up
- Keep inventory and perform data entry for food cost and reordering
- Some specific cooking skills, such as dessert preparation or baking, are desirable
Hourly wage $20/hr, organic vegetarian shift meals, share of guest tips, also possible very affordable on-site housing for the right candidate.
A sense of community; access to free yoga, meditation and other Menla-sponsored classes and retreats; and great discounts on massages and bookstore items; use of facilities, including hiking trails, state of the art gym and seasonal pool.
Prep Cook at Holistic Retreat & Spa
Looking for a job that’s more than just a job? Working at Menla means being part of a small vibrant community, working for a meaningful cause, and being in a healthy and beautiful environment. Menla is a hidden oasis in the Catskills featuring spiritual and wellness retreats and a world-class Spa.
Our Prep Cooks/Dishwashers are friendly, hard-working, dependable people who are fast, detail oriented, and have a passion for every detail from peeling the first carrot to peeling the hundredth one!
- Washing, peeling, grating, and/or chopping food items in a timely manner while also having fun!
- Keeping guest buffet and salad bar restocked during meals
- Line cooking experience and/or experience with catering 150+ person events preferred
- Ability to follow recipes and detailed instruction and be dedicated to preparing food with love, care, focus, and speed
- Experience with vegan food desired but not required
- Some dishwashing support may be needed at times
- Reliable transportation needed
Hourly wage starting at $14/hr DOE, share of guest tips, free shift meal, also very affordable on-site housing for the right candidate.
A sense of community, access to free yoga, meditation and other Menla-sponsored classes and retreats, and great discounts on massages and bookstore items.
Part Time Positions: 16-32 hrs/wk
Full Time Positions: 32-40 hrs/wk
Experience preferred but not necessary.