ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Kripalu is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to empowering people and communities to realize their full potential through the transformative wisdom and practice of yoga. We operate North America’s largest and most established yoga retreat center in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, with a history spanning more than 40 years and an average of 50,000 visitors annually. In 2019, The Worksite Wellness Council of Massachusetts awarded Kripalu their Resilience distinction.
Kripalu is uniquely suited to allow employees at any level in their careers to aid in the personal growth of our guests, students, and selves. Kripalu seeks to employ positive and motivated individuals across a variety of specialties and skill sets, including hospitality, dining and food service, healing arts, faculty, business functions, and many more.
We aspire to live by our values of integrity, presence, practice, inquiry, compassion, and service. Kripalu looks for staff members who are inspired by our mission and enjoy connecting with others. Strong applicants are dedicated to contributing to a culture of service, sharing their expertise, and living in our values.
DESCRIPTION: Director of Sales and Business Development
At Kripalu, our programming provides the inspiration, education, and connections our guests need to grow and transform. The Director of Sales will be a self-starter who is looking to grow and be a part of part of a mission-based organization that’s mission it to empower people and communities to realize their full potential through the transformative wisdom and practice of yoga
The ideal candidate is well connected and well-versed on topics in the area of spirituality, health, wellness & yoga. This individual understands how to balance both organizational growth and needs with market trends and guest satisfaction. The role will have a strong partnership with the Kripalu Programs team and focus on B2B and enterprise sales for the organization. The Director of Sales provides management and leadership to a small sales team and is accountable for the development and delivering of a sales strategy that ensures Kripalu is the continued field leader within the market of yoga, mindfulness, education, and wellness.
- Develop and execute a sales strategy (for groups and specific Kripalu programs) in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of Kripalu, including maximizing mid-week utilization.
- Drive market share growth and revenue objectives, in deep partnership with Marketing, to optimize the appropriate marketing and sales channel mix.
- Co-create and meet agreed sales targets for the Program department.
- Develop and maintain external relationships aimed at sourcing new leads and opportunities
- Develop new strategies to achieve business revenue growth goals and identify future growth sectors
- Establishes sales objectives by forecasting and developing annual sales goals; projecting expected sales volume and profit for existing and new programs
- Analyze and report sales activity, including weekly pipeline review, analytics, and forecasting to department manager(s) and senior management to ensure sales goals are on target and being met.
- Identify opportunities for improvements in customer and guest experiences and ancillary sales.
- Partner across teams, collaborate, communicate, and co-create for the good of the organization.
- Inspire and model a collaborative, positive, and integrated team atmosphere.
- Initiatives should focus on revenue generating opportunities, revenue forecasting with precision, mission and margin optimization and operational improvement opportunities
- Consistently evaluate the success and challenges of the strategy and provide recommendations for improvements.
- Lead outreach efforts by attending conferences and events to build a strong network and pipeline.
- Develop and is responsible for annual departmental budget and related forecasts.
- Hire, training and manager the Engagement Coordinator role
- Collaborate with the Marketing department to effectively deliver sales targets and tell the Kripalu story
- Collaborate with Director of Revenue to implement and achieve the sales strategy
- Models conscious leadership including courageously and vulnerably engaging in the practices of self-inquiry, self-awareness, self-reflection, and honesty, with a willingness to integrate feedback and respond fluidly.
- Possesses strong core ethics, integrity, and values consistent with Kripalu’s organizational principles.
- Works autonomously and proactively to manage time and priorities to deliver success
- Builds effective relationships, identifies internal and external stakeholder expectations, sees issues from their point of view; offers practical, mutually beneficial recommendations, solutions & ideas.
- Strategic thinker who sees beyond the present, anticipates future results, and accurately predicts trends to create opportunities.
- Visionary, ambitious, and innovative team leader and manager.
- Appropriately adapts management style and approach to a specific situation or person in order to achieve desired results and performance.
- Evaluates or generates key metrics and goals to support ongoing business direction as it relates to sales.
- Considers for and develops for succession planning
- Embraces experiences as learning opportunities.
- Accepts responsibility for personal and professional learning and growth
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- BS/BA degree from an accredited college/university or the equivalent
- 7 plus years in B2B sales ideally in the wellness, health, educational or corporate spaces
- An existing network that aligns with our ideal customers
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proven track record in developing and delivering successful sales strategies
- Excellent relational, diplomatic, negotiating, and persuasive verbal/written communication skills.
- Creative, out of the box thinker who can translate ideas into action.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Ability to use Microsoft programs, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Non-essential but Valued Skills and Qualifications
- Experience in Design Thinking
- Understanding of and ability to articulate Kripalu’s vision, mission, market and position in industry.
- Knowledge of methodologies and philosophies of a broad range of leading-edge teachers and authors in yoga and related fields such as Ayurveda, meditation, mindfulness, alternative/integrative health and energy healing, bodywork, neuroscience and psychology, spirituality, nutrition.
THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.
DESCRIPTION: Director of Guest Experience
The role of the Director of Guest Experience is to lead our guest-facing teams in delivering an inspiring experience to each Kripalu guest. They are responsible for maintaining high standards of customer service throughout all departments at Kripalu, integrating Kripalu’s values and teachings with industry standards to create an experience that is uniquely ours. The Director of Guest Experience is responsible for leading the housekeeping, front desk, mailroom, and security teams in guest experience and day to day operations. This position includes weekends and holidays.
- Develop and implement exceptional, consistent, and reliable guest service standards, including setting and exceeding measurable service benchmarks across department.
- Continuously evaluate all areas of the organization that touch the guest experience and work strategically with all department leaders to develop and improve a seamless guest experience of the highest quality.
- Proactively coach and develop team members within departments
- Manage, coordinate, and continually evaluate Front Desk, Mailroom, Housekeeping, and Security departments.
- Evaluate current department standards, policies, and procedures and drive improvements within the area
- Involve team members in the planning of the work that they will be performing
- Achieve Guest Service objectives by contributing guest service information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing guest service standards and training; monitoring accuracy; resolving problems and making recommendations for improvements.
- Effectively and efficiently resolve guest concerns and complaints that rise to the Director level.
- Analyze customer feedback and provide strategic direction to continuously improve overall guest experience.
- Ensure that all administrative policies and procedures are effectively created and maintained.
- Maintains in-depth working knowledge of Kripalu systems and processes, including safety protocols.
- Assist department managers in planning departmental budgets, optimizing operational spending and staffing levels.
- Work continually towards self-development to stay current on customer service, sales and supervisory procedures and practices.
- Provide feedback to the Senior Vice President regarding service failures or customer concerns.
- Participate in organization wide discussions and working groups
- Complete other projects and duties as assigned by the VP.
- Possesses strong core ethics, integrity, and values consistent Kripalu’s organizational principles.
- Organizationally minded; leading teams in operating under what is best for Kripalu and the guests that we serve
- Represents the organization and resolves guest issues above and beyond guest expectations
- Demonstrates strong leadership and experience in developing teams
- Builds effective relationships, identifies internal and external customer expectations—sees issues from their point of view; offers practical, mutually-beneficial recommendations, solutions, and ideas.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform required job elements to established standards.
- Learns and adapts quickly in new situations resulting in successful performance.
- Accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Embraces experiences as learning opportunities.
- Keeps up-to-date on industry trends.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in hospitality or related field.
- As least 5 years experience as a cross department leader (hospitality industry preferred)
- Experience leading housekeeping, front desk and security operations
- Experience with established hospitality/guest experience programs
- Proven effectiveness as an independently motivated, innovative, and results-oriented leader in customer service management for a minimum of two years.
- Impeccable character; keeps confidentiality and skillfully and gracefully resolves issues.
- Ability to manage emergency situations.
- Extensive experience with Microsoft programs, including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Experienced with hospitality property management software required.
- Strong orientation towards Kripalu’s mission and core values.
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekend hours.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
See ADA form.
THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.
Kripalu cares deeply about the safety and well-being of our organization, staff, and guests. As such, all new employees are subject to background checks, including—but not limited to—reference checks, Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI), and nationwide criminal database and sex offender search. Additional screenings may be required based on position requirements.
Kripalu is an “at will” employer; the employment relationship can be terminated by either party at any time for any reason not prohibited by law.
Kripalu is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, military status, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.