Hui Ho’olana is a living sanctuary on the Hawaiian island of Molokai where inspiration, transformation, and goodwill come together to make a positive impact on individuals and the wider world we share. A volunteer/intern position is available: Hawaii Native Plants Nursery & Field Tech from March 18 – June 23 and Oct 4-Dec 15, 2020.
Hui Ho’olana has one of the largest Private Native Plant Restoration sites in all of Hawaii. Your
duties will include the propagation and maintenance of native Hawaiian plants, including rare,
threatened and endangered species. Under the direction of the head of the department
(Bronwyn Cooke), you will have field activities such as out planting installations, weeding,
irrigation maintenance and monitoring, manage plant pathogens and insects, follow greenhouse
procedures prior to out planting, keep accurate nursery records and assist in the maintenance of
the plant propagation database.
Support the landscape projects on the property through various efforts to integrate native plants into the landscape and any other support as needed. Be willing to assist in any department, including care and maintenance of community areas.
Helpful Skills and Experience
Any knowledge or experience in –
- Plant propagation techniques in landscaping, nursery or greenhouse;
- Principles of plant propagation;
- Irrigation design and construction;
- Pest identification and control;
- Good working knowledge of computers, word-processing and database;
- Inspiring school children!
- Considerable amount of bending, stooping, & crouching;
- Ability to lift loads up to fifty pounds;
- Ability to hike in rough terrain for harvesting native seeds;
- Some all day long physical effort in seed collection, nursery work, etc.
- 30-40 hrs. work per week
What do you receive?
- An incredible life changing experience!
Native Plant Restoration Curriculum
- Access to our 12 week “Hui Ho’olana Native Hawaiian Plant Restoration Course”
- Food and Lodging: Private cabin
- Access to staff vehicles: pay for gas used
- Be outdoors having fun working with the earth making a difference!
- Opportunity to work with school children (about 2 days) sharing what you are learning
Email email@example.com for more information