Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health is a nonprofit educational organization dedicated to serving people and communities in realizing their full potential through the transformative wisdom and practice of Yoga.
Kripalu is committed to becoming an employer and community where all belong. We have much work to do and we are committed to doing it. Our team and Board of Trustees have been working with partners from Race and Resilience to shift our understanding, behaviors, policies, and culture to embrace the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Due to Covid-19 we had to make the difficult decision to close our doors in order to ensure the safety of our staff and guests. As we look towards reopening we’re looking for people that want to be part of an exciting and growing organization. If you’re looking for work that will challenge and inspire you, a job that will offer tremendous personal and professional growth, then Kripalu is the right place for you!
This individual will bring deep management and hospitality experience rooted in a philosophy of service, while also holding a vision of finance, operations and facility management that supports a positive guest experience. This role acts as a creative, inspirational leader to build cohesion among all departments that contribute to the guest experience, including Guest Services (Front Desk, Registrations), Guest Operations (Mailroom, Dining & Food Services, Campus Safety, Facilities, and Grounds and Housekeeping), and General Operations (Finance, HR and IT).
The COO is responsible for the development of the organization’s service, hospitality and financial management strategy ensuring the organization’s financial and operational strength while contributing to the development of the organization’s strategic goals.
The COO will serve as an integral member of the Leadership Team. This role also serves as the Treasurer of Kripalu’s Board of Trustees. In addition to the strategic components, the COO is responsible for the oversight of each area mentioned above.
As a leader in the organization the COO models both passion for and commitment to the execution of the organization’s vision, mission, and values.
- Serve as an advisor to the CEO and leadership team. Is a strategic advisor on all hospitality and operational matters and their impact on the organization.
- Serve as a member of the Leadership Team.
- Contribute to the development of strategic organizational goals and objectives.
- Leads annual strategic plan implementation.
- Using the values of the organization, develop and promote a high-performance service culture with a focus on quality execution, results, and continuous improvement.
- Develop a philosophy for the guest experience and operations at Kripalu that reflects best practices in alignment with organizational vision, mission, and values.
- Advance organizational effectiveness through cross-departmental collaboration and teambuilding.
- Assess, inspire, and develop teams necessary to support the organization.
- Build a positive, engaged group of leaders that can lead and support their teams effectively and in alignment with company culture.
- Analyze current operations and implement recommendations for improvement in efficiencies, cost savings and enhancements to the guest experience
- Develop strong relationships with outside partners, vendors, local and state officials, and consultants to ensure successful accomplishment of projects and initiatives.
- Partner with the Program and Marketing teams in the development of a pathway for guests to maximize their educational and recreational experience at the retreat center.
- Work in partnership with direct reports to ensure best practices and motivational leadership are present in their functioning areas.
- Lead long-range growth planning for finance, operations, and facilities to inform capital budgets and capital campaigns.
- Oversee major building upgrades and/or new construction projects, in partnership with our facilities and grounds team.
- In partnership with the Leadership Team, oversee financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters to ensure long-term financial sustainability and investment growth that is aligned with the purpose and mission of the organization.
- Serve as management liaison to the Finance Committee, Investment Committee and the Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees; effectively present and communicate financial matters at select board and committee meetings and provide relevant information on a timely basis in between committee meetings.
- Direct and supervise preparation of financial reports, schedules and forecasts to provide management with timely, accurate financial information.
- Manage relationships with external financial and compliance partners such as banks, auditors, leasing agents and others.
- Ensure legal and audit compliance with tax-exempt organization laws and regulations.
- Manage the insurance and risk management programs of the organization.
- Support Director of IT in overseeing the Data Security of the organization through our Information Technology policies and practices.
- Support IT to ensure the organization is equipped with the necessary technology to further our mission and support our strategic long- and short-term goals.
People and Culture (HR)
- Support Director of People and Culture (P&C) in reviewing employee insurance programs including health, welfare or other employee benefit programs and ensure we have the best and most cost-effective offerings for our staff.
- In partnership with P&C, ensure compliance with state and federal regulations in relation to policies, training, staffing and wages.
- Keep company Culture on the fore front of all strategic decisions.
- Support the continuous evolution of organizational culture where staff feel valued and supported and therefor value and support our guests.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing equity, diversity and contributing to an inclusive environment.
- Models conscious leadership including courageously and vulnerably engaging in the practices of self-inquiry, self-awareness, self-reflection, and honesty, with a willingness to integrate feedback and respond fluidly.
- Possesses strong core ethics, integrity, and values consistent with Kripalu’s organizational principles.
- Builds effective relationships, identifies internal and external customer expectations, sees issues from their point of view; offers practical, mutually beneficial recommendations, solutions, and ideas.
- Exhibits strong communication skills by practicing direct and honest dialog with a sense of inquiry and deep listening.
- Sees beyond the present, anticipates future results, and accurately predicts trends to create opportunities. Verbalizes the vision and leads the work group in that direction.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform required job elements to established standards, remaining current regarding development and trends in areas of expertise.
- Appropriately adapts management style and approach to a specific situation or person in order to achieve desired results and performance.
- Embraces experiences as learning opportunities.
- Accepts responsibility for personal and professional learning and growth.
- Models the values of Kripalu including service, presence, inquiry, compassion, practice and integrity.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Understands the changing market dynamics of the hospitality and yoga industry and translates them into actionable strategies to achieve organizational objectives.
- Demonstrated business and analytical skills to make data-driven decisions.
- Must be proficient in P&L and budget management and making tradeoff recommendations that yield the maximum return on investment.
- Demonstrates the ability to be a constant force for innovation and improvement.
- Proven track record of successfully facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Self-reliant, strong problem solver, and results oriented.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical guest experience, financial and operational initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Resonance and passion for Kripalu’s mission.
- MBA or MA/MS degree preferably in business, accounting or hospitality or related field, or a combination of education and experience equivalent.
- A minimum of 15 years of hospitality management experience, with at least five years of senior level experience in management.
- Proven experience in all areas of hospitality, finance and operations with a strong focus on service.
- Proven experience working with Boards.
- Proven leader with track record for delivering results.
- Models diversity and inclusion awareness.
- Prior non-profit experience a plus.
Kripalu is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, military status, national origin age, disability or genetic information, or any other basis, especially those prohibited by applicable law.
Please send applications to Jessica Arrowsmith
Human Resources Manager at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health